Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default No rigid tapping afterall on the Fadal

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 03:10:40 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:39:33 -0600, Ignoramus14796

On 2011-11-18, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus14796 wrote:
I think that it is not as big of a deal, myself. I implemented rigid
tapping on my Interact "because I could" and it was about $100 in
cost. Plus it makes some things easier, as I do not need to do
expensive computations of feedrates. Plus I can post videos on youtube.

Well, that was possible because you retrofitted the machine,
of course.

Yep, and I am very happy.

Not sure if Eric is planning a retrofit. And, of course,
Mach does not do rigid tapping without a Galil card.

I am really glad that I did not use Mach3.

Greetings Iggy,
Why are you happy that you did not use Mach3? I have been considering
using Mach3 on a lathe conversion. I have seen a lathe running Mach3
threading parts and it seemed to work well.
Cheers,
Eric

IMHO, the call should be based on wheather you have steppers or
servos. Mach is a great stepper control but doesn't take position
feedback. EMC is slightly more complex to install and may be slightly
behind on ease of use, but it has ability to receive feedback from
encoders and drive servos directly.

Mach can be made to work with servos, and EMC can work with steppers.
So, if your heart is set on one control go for it.

Karl