Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default What about a national battery?

wrote in
:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:56:25 -0500, "Tomsic" wrote:

Don't need batteries -- use a spinning flywheel connected to a
motor/generator for the energy storage. Then all you need is mass.
Make the flywheel out of steel or even concrete or stone. Make lots
of them, put them everywhere and you have a simple, low cost energy
storage system with unlimited capacity.

The traditional storage method is pumped water. You fill up a lake at
the top of the hill and run it through a turbine when you want the
energy back. The advantage is, rainfall gives you free energy.

I believe there are a few of those pumped storage hydroelectric systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity
The enormous losses during pumping and regeneration seem to make this
very inefficient but apparently the differences between off-peak and peak
rates can make it economical. Not relly useful for individuals or small
coomunities, I'd think.
The flywheel seems practical, but of course the amounts of energy stored
may make the system rather dangerous when (not if) it malfunctions. I've
seen the damage when ultracentrifuges go poof, and that was really very
little mass.

--
Best regards
Han