Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Yellowing plastic skylights

On Nov 15, 5:23*pm, blueman wrote:
We have a couple of non-standard sized skylights that are yellowing with
age. They are probably 20+ years old. I'm not sure if they are acrylic or
some other plastic.

However, they have turned yellow/amber with age presumbably due to the
effect of sunlight exposure.

Short of replacing the domes with new custom-sized ones, is there any
way to remove the yellowing by treating the surface (either chemically
or mechanically) or is the yellowing intrinsic to the plastic?

Thanks

You might try something.

We owned a '99 Camry with the clear lenses over the head lamp and park
lamp bulbs. Over time the plastic lenses yellowed and took on a
clouded appearance. A few months ago I saw an advertisement on TV
about a kit that could be used to clear up clouded headlamp covers.
Supposedly it took seconds.

I went out to the garage and got a can of polishing (not rubbing)
compound off the the shelf. After about 30 minutes of vigorous
rubbing they looked as good as new. You might get a can of
automotive polishing compound and give it a try. It might require
some serious elbow grease, or very careful use of a power polisher.

RonB