Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulb, thy doom is near!

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:47:20 -0500, "Tomsic" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:44:21 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

I bought a case of 100 100-Watt bulbs this summer. Those should last
several years.

100 light bulbs would last me the rest of my life. Lighting is not a
significant part of my energy usage. We have task lighting where we
need it and motion detected lighting when we are walking around. Most
of the time the house is pretty dark.

Lighting is about 12% of a home's energy use, so it doesn't stand out on the
electric bill. But, as we've seen, energy prices are rising and that's not
likely to change anytime soon. So, those stocks of 100 watt bulbs get
increasingly expensive to operate every time one is put into a socket.
Already, in most places, it's cheaper to toss them than to use them.

Since the ones thrown away use no electricity, you're right, even if
tautological. For those of us who actually like to see, we'll just keep
screwing them in, thanks. Reminder to self: Order another 100 100W bulbs
from 1000bulbs.com.