Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Yellowing plastic skylights

On 11/15/2011 3:23 PM, blueman wrote:
We have a couple of non-standard sized skylights that are yellowing with
age. They are probably 20+ years old. I'm not sure if they are acrylic or
some other plastic.

However, they have turned yellow/amber with age presumbably due to the
effect of sunlight exposure.

Short of replacing the domes with new custom-sized ones, is there any
way to remove the yellowing by treating the surface (either chemically
or mechanically) or is the yellowing intrinsic to the plastic?

Thanks

Frank is correct in all he wrote.

Have you examined the skylight closely from the roof side? Do they have
two sheets of plastic making a sandwich with air/gas between the two?
Keeps condensation down. If two, is only the outer sheet yellowing?

Do you live in a heavily forested area where tree pollen may have slowly
accumulated on the outer surface? How often do you wash the skylight?

I would first do what Frank suggested, using some type of plastic polish.

20 years is probably the normal life for the skylight.

Paul