Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Black light flashlights

wrote in message

Steve,
I too have scorpions (Fort Worth)as my home sits on a rocky hill.
I've fought them *******s for years, with a wide array of chemicals,
DE powder etc. no help. Best thing I found was a couple of cats that
LIVE to hunt scorpions. I think the first one got bit on the chin by
one and now it's a vendetta, which has been communicated to the new
cats as they assimilated. Scorpions in our house have a rather short
life expectancy. Then the challenge was to stop them before they got
inside.
So I read that scorpions flouresce under UV. Bought a UV flashlight
off ebay for $16
IT WORKS. Those things light up like the proverbial dime in a goat's
butt!. The first night I walked around the house about 10:00 with the
UV light and a can of raid. Killed 6 of them inside of 10 minutes.
Gave me the creeps to see how many of them were around!
That was 3 years ago. After the first month I rarely found any, but
I do still find about one a week during the hottest weather.
Try it. It's actually fun. We had dinner guests over shortly after
I discovered this. I told them about it over dinner. That night they
spent more time outside than in. I'd hear the women squeal with
delight when they found one LOL.
Since then I've bought extras for neighbors. My spare went to Mom
a few weeks ago. Seems bedbugs flouresce also, according to the
entomologist that treated her house. Haven't verified that.

reply:

After living here nearly five years now, I know we have them here. We live
on a sand dune with lava rock, the perfect habitat.

I knew this would show them, but had never gone out at night to seek them.
It is too cold now, but I figure this spring and summer there should be a
lot of them. This will also make it easier in the house to find any. We
have had a few in the house, but they are drunk from the bug spray. A
couple laying right out in the open.

I've been bitten twice, both times one crawled up my leg inside my jeans
while working outside. Quite a cramp, and a little bruise the size of a
dime. I haven't been bitten in the 9+ years I've been on coumadin since
heart surgery, so not sure how that's going to go.

We have a cat, but I'm not sure if she does anything except sleep and eat.
I think she'd keep them cleared out. My terrier/poodle would be something
else. She's fierce with anything that moves, and I believe she'd shred
them. She's hell on jackrabbits, chipmunks, and gophers.

We'll see how it goes when it warms up.

Steve