Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default turning old fir

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:15:17 -0600, Kevin Miller wrote
(in message ications):

On 11/15/2011 11:02 AM, tom koehler wrote:
sigh. Well, I have some more, and will try again, but different approach,
somehow.
tom koehler

Perhaps cutting it into planks and making a segmented bowl? Each
segment would be pretty small, and since the joints overalap any give
crack would be stabilized by the non-checked wood next to it or
above/below it...

A good point, and something I truly did not even consider. Thanks.
The house did not have a foundation, and was simply set upon wooden posts
(likely cedar) set into the clay. I cut a couple of big sections from some of
this wood, and will treat it just like turning wet wood (which it is) when I
get to it.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.