Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A lesser alternative to a bench grinder?

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Steve B" steveb gmail.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

Generally speaking... Can you use an angle grinder instead of a
bench grinder for some stationary grinding tasks? Any other
smaller and lighter tool to do lesser tasks than what a bench
grinder is normally used for? A rotary tool?

Thanks.

Yes, no, absolutely, maybe, and I don't know.

Hey Stevie, provider of frivolous answers.

Generally speaking, it depends on what you are doing.

If you don't know generally what I'm doing, Stevie, you haven't
read what you're replying to.

[reply]

Just watch for heat. Reinforced grinding wheels for angle-head grinders
generate a lot more heat than a soft, coarse-grit wheel on a bench grinder,
like the white wheels used for quality tool sharpening. It also will be
hotter than an ordinary blue wheel, and a bit hotter than a green wheel
(silicon carbide). The resin-bonded wheels used in the smaller sizes of
angle-head grinders are somewhere in between.

But you can overcome that with technique. I use both, and I don't have any
heating problems. But I'm very careful not to overdo it with the angle-head
grinder. Move fast, and don't use much pressure if you're grinding something
that's heat-treated. Give the work time to cool between passes.

--
Ed Huntress

A bench grinder lets you hold the work. Using a hand grinder, you are
doing
a dangerous two handed ballet.

Air tools work good for small stuff.

Dremels, Foredoms, and the like work for really small fine stuff.

And then, they make small bench grinders and polishers.

Just depends on what you're doing.

The usual is to have one of each, just to be safe. And a couple of
spares,
too.

Steve

From: "Steve B" steveb gmail.com