Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Using Metalworking Tools on Plastic

On Nov 15, 2:58*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:

To answer the questions, the grooves I have to make don't need to have
near perfect tolerances. I'm creating the grooves to place 3/16" wide
phosphor-Bronze strips in them for new contact blocks I'm making.

Making the grooves over-sized wouldn't be a problem because the 1/8"
distance between them is flexible. (In fact I may just go with 1/16"
between each groove).

The grooves, are just to make sure the strips don't shift. The
finished nylon pieces will be 4-1/2" long, 3/4" wide, and 1/4" thick,
and the grooves will be on the opposite 1/4" sides. Each strip will
wrap around into it's own groove.(Which will probably be the toughest
part of this project).

In that case, I would look into using a table saw. *For cuts that
shallow, heating should not be a problem. *Accuracy should be enough.
WAY faster than any metalworking approach.

Bob

I don't see how that would be faster. Do you know of a jig that would
allow me to make a groove and then *quickly* shift the work over 1/4"
for the next groove until all 16 are done?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.