Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default That time of the year again: Tube heaters for loft

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:00:08 +0000, Hugh - Was Invisible
wrote:

On 15/11/2011 14:55, The Other Mike wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:15:26 +0000, wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:01:41 +0000, The Other Mike
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:15:37 +0000, wrote:

That sounds like it could be expensive. As I've mentioned before in
this ng my house does not have any thermostat, even though it was
built only 8 years ago. It just has Honeywell knob adjusters on all
the rads. On the wall in the annexe next to the kitchen is the Danfoss
timeswitch/controller at which I program heating and hot water
independently of each other. So wiring in a froststat would have to be
done by a heating engineer, I should think.

How the hell did that get Buiiding Regs approval? Even the regs
twenty years ago had something in about boiler interlocks when there
is no call for heat.

What has "boiler interlocks" got to do with a froststat and/or
thermostat?

In basic terms you are not permitted to use the boiler thermostat to
control the room temperature (previously you were)

You might possibly have a flow switch on the boiler in lieu of of a
room thermostat in which case it is compliant.

Looks like it has TRVs. Do these make it compliant?

Not on their own. Have a look at Part L of the building regs

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bui...partl/approved

Even the oldest regs on there, Page 12 & 13 mention boiler interlocks

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/PpW...F_ADL_1995.pdf