Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Identify this shrub?

wrote:
On Nov 14, 4:02 pm, dpb wrote:
On 11/14/2011 1:43 PM, Ron wrote:

Looks like the only realistic option for me would be to remove what
I have and plant new ones. I definitely waited way too long to get
around to dealing with cutting back what I have.

Why????

Just cut them back to the ground as the link I pointed you at says
and let them regenerate and then keep them trimmed at the size you
want.
--

Probably because if he cuts them back that far, I doubt
they will survive, despite what your link says. And even

Yes, that is why I don't want to just cut them back and wait for them to
produce a decent green evergreen shrub. It would be easier and more
aesthetic to just remove what I have (probably by just cutting them off at
the base)and then plant new ones. There are only 4 of them, so it won't be
a big deal.

I am also not sure that the article excerpt that I posted is completely
correct that by cutting them way back and leaving a small stump the shrub
will re-grow and look okay. In reading other articles, some seem to say
that works and others say it will not work. I do know that when cutting
some trees and shrubs off at ground level, some will produce new shoots and
new growth and some will not. At the place where I work, I cut off a big
globe-shaped shrub at the base to remove it and nothing ever grew back out
of the stump or from any of the roots. I am not sure what that was, but
when I cut it off the wood looked sort of like cherry wood or cherry-colored
wood.