Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default A lesser alternative to a bench grinder?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"John Doe" wrote in message
b.com...
Generally speaking... Can you use an angle grinder instead of a
bench grinder for some stationary grinding tasks? Any other
smaller and lighter tool to do lesser tasks than what a bench
grinder is normally used for? A rotary tool?

Sure. Or a plain ole drill, with a variety of grinding wheels, sanding
wheels, flap discs, you name it..
There is also a low rpm "wet wheel", for knives and such, at Sears for
$30-40, comes in handy.

Scotch brite even makes polishing pads for angle grinders, of all
descriptions.

In a number of cases, these alternative grinding scenarios are actually
preferable to a typical bench/pedestal grinder.
And even in a small ****ty shop like mine (with some cnc), you cain't have
too many grinders, sanders. Between surface grinders, belt sanders,
pedestals, I have almost 10. And even those aren't enough, and I'll have
occasion to mount a porter-cable 4x24 belt sander in a vise....

Speaking of which, overall, a vertical belt sander -- or even a hand-held
belt sander, mounted in a vise -- might be the overall most versatile
grinding bang for the buck. Altho, the cost of belts will quickly exceed
the cost of one coase grinding wheel, which in my shop has lasted for
years.
--
EA

Thanks.

I will second that opinion about belt sanders especially if you work with
aluminum. Grinding aluminum can ruin a grinding wheel. I have even heard it
that the embedded chunks of aluminum can heat up and split the grinding
wheel, but maybe that was just a story meant to scare people into not doing
it.

A belt sander works great for beveling corners and general hand finishing.