Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul D Smith Paul D Smith is offline

Default That time of the year again: Tube heaters for loft

"MM" wrote in message
So far autumn temperatures are holding up well, but we might have a
shockingly cold December like last year, so once again it will be a
worry that the pipes in the loft will freeze.

So how about a tube heater? Are they safe to leave unattended? I read
on Amazon that they have to be mounted on a wall, but there's no wall
within feet of the pipes in question, so what would I mount one on?
What wattage would I need for a smallish loft (2004-built 3-bed
detached), 60W enough?

How about instead moving one of my oil-filled rads up there
temporarily? I've got a baby one that even has a thermostat on (the
tube heaters appear to need an extra thermostat).

MM

Don't know whether you can get them here, but in the US they have "ribbon
heater cable" specifically for this purpose. It looks not unlike those
"light cables" except yellow and flat and you wrap it around all your pipes
where it sits keeping them frost free.

Perhaps there's a market for them over here, if they're not available
already.

Paul DS.