Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default X10 Question - Why do these lights work?

On Nov 14, 4:07*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:07 pm, "
wrote:
On Nov 14, 1:52 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Here's my set up:

1 outside light connected to a WS4777 Three-Way Master and Slave
Switch Set
1 outside light connected to a WS467 single switch
1 MS16A motion detector, set to turn the lights off after 10 minutes
of no motion
1 RR501, set to communicate with the MS16A and send it's on/off
signals to the switches.

This set up has work fairly well for over a year, although I
occasionally have an issue where the lights will stay on
indefinitely as if the RR501 is not receiving the OFF signal from
the MS16A.

Well, last week I needed to use the garage outlet where the RR501
was plugged into, so I unplugged it. I assumed that the outside
light setup would no longer work since the RR501 was no longer
controlling the system.

Well, much to my surprise, the lights come on when motion is
detected and 10 minutes later (assuming no motion) they go off. How
is this happening? Does the MS16A communicate directly with the
switches, meaning that I never needed the RR501 in the first place?

If I didn't know you better, I'd swear you were a troll. So, have
you been drinking?

Seriously, I don't know how that could be happening, unless
it's some supernatural thing. The MS16 is wireless and AFAIK, the
switches are wireline only. Without the RR501
transceiver, I don't see how the wireless signal gets to
the switches. I have a similar settup here and without the
RR501 the lights here don't go on. I'll check it when I get
a chance and let you know for sure, but I know I've unplugged
the RR501 to use the outlet for something else, forgot to
put it back, and the lights did not work.- Hide quoted text -

This is not a troll and I quit drinking many years ago.

Seriously, I'm as surprised as you appear to be. There's no more Clack
On/Clack Off from the RR501 (obviously!) yet the lights still do their
thing. In fact, they seem to turn OFF more consistently than they did
with the RR501 installed.

Is there another RR501 or similar component elsewhere in your system, or at a
neighbor's that's on the same transformer from the grid?- Hide quoted text -

There's another MS16A and a RR501 in the basement but they're set for
a dffierent house code than the MS16A and RR501 in the front of the
house. There's a light fixture plugged directly into the basement
RR501 which is controlled by the basement MS16A.

The basement light does not come on when the front lights come on and
the front lights don't come on when the basement light comes on, so I
don't think that that is the cause.