Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default X10 Question - Why do these lights work?

On Nov 14, 1:52*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Here's my set up:

1 outside light connected to a WS4777 Three-Way Master and Slave
Switch Set
1 outside light connected to a WS467 single switch
1 MS16A motion detector, set to turn the lights off after 10 minutes
of no motion
1 RR501, set to communicate with the MS16A and send it's on/off
signals to the switches.

This set up has work fairly well for over a year, although I
occasionally have an issue where the lights will stay on indefinitely
as if the RR501 is not receiving the OFF signal from the MS16A.

Well, last week I needed to use the garage outlet where the RR501 was
plugged into, so I unplugged it. I assumed that the outside light
setup would no longer work since the RR501 was no longer controlling
the system.

Well, much to my surprise, the lights come on when motion is detected
and 10 minutes later (assuming no motion) they go off. How is this
happening? Does the MS16A communicate directly with the switches,
meaning that I never needed the RR501 in the first place?

Yep not sure what an RR501 is but mine just uses the motion detector
to control the switches. I do have box in my bedroom that will turn
them on overriding the motion detector operating the garage door also
turns the lights on. No signal is transmitted to the switches until
you hit a button on one of the control points so you can have as many
as you like. My garage door opener has one built in.

Jimmie