Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Identify this shrub?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:57:23 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

Can anyone identify what type of shrub this is and what it is called? Here
are two photos:

http://i42.tinypic.com/jto3t0.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/xgfjpx.jpg

I have several of these at a property in Eastern Pennsylvania (in Lower
Bucks County). They are way too big and overgrown for where they are
located on the property and I would like to cut them way back if possible.
It may be the wrong time of year to do that now, and it may be that if I cut
them way back it will take too long for them to recover and look half way
decent.

But, if I could identify exactly what type of shrub it is, maybe I could do
a little more research on how and when to trim them etc.

They are some kind of Arbor Vitae, I think. They will take a crapload
of abuse. you might be able to just hack them down to size if you
can live with some scraggle for a year or two.

Better yet, if you found a landscaper who needed a couple that size,
they might be able to yank yours out and put some smaller ones in.

There is a local guy that has a giant shovel that transplants 20-30'
trees with a minimum of fuss. Might be too close to your house to
use that-- but a decent landscaper can tell you for sure.

Jim