Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Generators, run on nat. gas....

On Nov 13, 10:38*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I can't imagine a 14 hour day of generator run. I'd figure
an hour ever several hours for heat, and refrigeration. Then
work around other things. Candles and other lamps for light
and trace ammounts of heat. Survival mode requires different
behaviours.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Why would you run it 14 hours a day? *Unless you are in very
frigid
weather and the heat must run all the time. *I'd run it for
an hour or
so every four to keep the refrigerators and freezer cold,
but I'd not
keep it going all the time. *Considering the scarcity of gas
and the
work to feed it, I'd use it sparingly and enjoy the quiet.

"Survival mode" demands that I be able to work, rather than sitting
around enjoying the quiet while my power is out for four days. Last
month, I had my cell phone tethered to a windows machine and used
internet connection sharing to power up my whole network. With Verizon
4G, it was almost as good as my cable connection, though I didn't have
my static IPs.

I also have a sump pump that, during a particularly rainy period, runs
as often as every two minutes. If it doesn't run, "enjoying the quiet"
rapidly turns into cleaning up water from the basement floor.

Point is, I use my generator for more than running the fridge and
furnace. And that was, byu the way, 14 hours at a time before
refueling. I actually ran it 24 hours a day, shutting down only for
refueling.