Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default A Come-along and my 60 ton Bliss

pyotr filipivich wrote:
"Snag" on Sun, 13 Nov 2011
Actually I was surprised at how inexpensive it turned out to be .
Total for materials was under a hundred bucks , the guy that helped
me [works for my BIL the plumber] is gonna be another c-note . Had I
contracted with a plumber to do this it would have ran at least 2500
bucks ... and that's for the cheap plumber !

I stand amazed. Wow. "Such a deal." (Frozen pipe last winter
cost me ~900 bucks, between the repair bill, and the water bill.

I have always been a do it yourself kinda guy . The big plus is that my
father was that way too , and probably one of the smartest people I ever met
.. I learned a lot from him , the most important thing being that I can learn
anything I want to know if I'm willing to put forth the effort .
That has turned into a large quantity of tooling for several trades and a
better standard of living because I don't pay other people to fix my stuff
(except automagic transmissions !) as a rule . BTW , the guy that helped me
is a 2nd year apprentice , and his contribution was the same as mine - man a
shovel , swing a pick , cut & glue pipe , etc . He was in the trench right
with me for the whole thing , and asked for a lot less than I'm paying him .
--
Snag
Learning keeps