Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load center replacement

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:12:44 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 11/12/2011 2:57 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:11:15 -0600,
wrote:

On 11/11/2011 7:00 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:20:03 -0600,
wrote:

On 11/10/2011 5:50 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:01:39 -0600,
wrote:

On 11/9/2011 7:09 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:36:48 -0600,
wrote:

In this thread you have got wrong:
Clare needed to convert to breakers because of homeowners insurance.
you can't get insurance for fuses
you can never get insurance for K&T
you can never get insurance for K&T from State Farm
there is a "great chance of a loss" (K&T is intrinsically unsafe)
there are no boxes with K&T
if you open a wall with K&T it is "mandatory to upgrade"
homes with K&T can't be insulated

Bud,

Insurance underwriters do not allow (in most cases) houses with K&T
wiring.

How do you know what the practice is in the US? Or all of Canada?
Do you use a Ouija board, like hallerb?

An unmolested K&T wiring system, even if surrounded by insulation,
would, in all probability, not cause a fire dsnger - but UNMOLESTED
K&T systems are EXCEDINGLY rare - and any poorly made modifications,
dangerous enough when in open air, and open to be found and repaired
if a problem develops, are hidden in (often flammable) insulation,
where if a problem develops the first sign is smoke.

"Exceedingly rare"?
Your opinion.

Are you an electrician????

I have been a licensed master electrician for over 35 years.

Over the last 50 years ( 40 from 1956 to 2006)as an electrician my dad
rewired a LOT of older homes - and he virtually NEVER found an
"unmolested" K&T

Was my mother's old house that was upgraded by licensed electricians
"molested"?

I wouldn't bet against it.

Let me try again. Did the licensed electricians "molest" my mother's old
house? Does your FUD include work done by electricians?

That depends an awfull lot on the "electrician", doesn't it????

There you have it - electricians in Canada molest houses.

Here they do quality work that is inspected.

I've seen some AWFULL electrical work in Florida - done and inspected