Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Load center replacement

On 11/13/2011 8:16 AM, bud-- wrote:

Clare said the house had an electric range, AC, and electric drier.

Running a NEC calculation for a house the size of clare's with electric
range, dryer and water heater gives a service size of 80A. More
electrical could be added.

RBM told you something like that months ago. It is like talking to a rock.

In this thread you have got wrong:
- Clare needed to convert to breakers because of homeowners insurance.
- you can't get insurance for fuses
- you can never get insurance for K&T
- you can never get insurance for K&T from State Farm
- there is a "great chance of a loss" (K&T is intrinsically unsafe)
- there are no boxes with K&T
- if you open a wall with K&T it is "mandatory to upgrade"
- homes with K&T can't be insulated
- "posts here from insurance workers statements about K&T being
uninsurable"
- everyone's house should comply with current NEC requirements for new
construction
- you can't add major appliances to a 100A service

Power requirement are never what people want to think they are. I have
one rental i completely rewired with a 100A panel and 20 new circuits.
In this house are the following:
2 adults
3 kids
1 electric stove
1 central a/c unit
1 electric dryer
2 refrigerators (one in the detached garage being fed with 12-2 underground)
2 larger flat panel tv's
2 computers
2 aquariums

the rest of the normal array of things the average family of 5 would
have. Here's the kicker.... When i put the new panel in, i didn't care
to have the "evaluation of need" and all that bull**** the power company
wanted to come pull the meter and feed my new panel. So what I did is
just turned the old "main/range plus four" into a disconnect. So what i
have feeding this entire house is two 60 fuses still in the original
box. In 4 years neither of these has blown or caused any problems.
There is no dimming of lights when the a/c or range is used. It's just
a fallacy as to what people *think* they need power wise.
--
Steve Barker