Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default TIP: 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

On 11/12/2011 12:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:43:38 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I imagine it could be a $3000 to $6000 investment to do it and while
the oil companies are making money, the local station owner is on a
thin margin.

$3000 to $6000? A neighbor had a 12KW Generac installed at his
house. That was $7K. I suspect to power a gas station you're
looking
at a lot more than that.

Why? Running a couple of pumps, a couple of lights, and the cash
register would not take all that much. If it is connected to a
convenience store with refrigeration, if you want to keep the
compressor going for air, yes, that would take a lot.

Pumps ain't just pumps any more- they are POS terminals. Even for cash
sales, if the backroom computer and/or connection to computer in sky is
down, the pumps are locked out. ISTR from one of the TV shows, that the
buried tanks have sensors now as well, and those have to be able to
phone home.

This ain't your daddy's gas station any more.

--
aem sends...