Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default HVAC parts markup

Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago -- first
time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and we have
carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find wrong was that
the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat: 3.6uF instead of 5uF.
I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it comes off the truck, but
if you go to our office you can probably get one for less." Since I had
replaced a dual capacitor on the AC for only about $20 a couple years
back, I declined to have the capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I
bought online for $6 + $3 shipping.

Perce

Hmm... I used to sell a 4uf for only $20 out of the van. I'll have to
up my price well over $80 since jukebox service is much more specialized
than HVAC.