Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default surveillance

On 11/12/2011 3:50 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Uno wrote:

I'm in New Mexico and won't be at all surprised to find that it
at least requires a building permit to be pulled. It's about
keeping the kids and their teachers safe

You want to install cameras to keep kids safe? Is that the surveillance
you want to do?

Yeah. We run a pre-school where we've had vagrants sleeping in the
enclosed playground. It happens in the colder months and lets just say
they are not hygienic enough to tolerate, as christian organizations
would like to do. Also a camera on the parking lot, where the teachers
keep their cars parked and parents come to pick them up. The gal who
runs it is requesting it; I'm just the guy who's gonna get it done, one
of these days....

When I look at cameras I don't usually see the way they're powered,
which puzzles me. Does anyone see anything wrong/inappropriate
about these:

http://www.123securityproducts.com/123-dvr674bkit.html

They are usually sold with long runs of pre-made cables (maybe 50 to 75
feet each, one per camera) and the cable is terminated on either end
with video and power connectors that mate with matching connectors on
the back of the camera or with a short cable that comes out of the back
of the camera.

If we're going with the corded systems, is there one cable for data and
another for power?

The power going to the camera is 12 VDC.

I guess I'm wondering whether you transform it once and send it out or
whether you have a transformer for every camera.

I asked for a quote from the above people, so we'll see what they say.
--
Uno