Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default HVAC parts markup

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Had a local HVAC company check out our furnace a few days ago --
first time in almost 8 years ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and
we have carbon monoxide detectors). The only thing he could find
wrong was that the run capacitor's capacitance was down somewhat:
3.6uF instead of 5uF. I asked how much a replacement was: "$80 if it
comes off the truck, but if you go to our office you can probably
get one for less." Since I had replaced a dual capacitor on the AC
for only about $20 a couple years back, I declined to have the
capacitor replaced. I now have a new one I bought online for $6 + $3
shipping.

Perce

Those guys tell my elderly dad he needs a whole new HVAC system every
couple of years. Talk about crooks! Also go to alt.hvac, some pretty
nasty people over there!