Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default TIP: 2.2 million without power, in the northeast

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:43:38 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I imagine it could be a $3000 to $6000 investment to do it and while
the oil companies are making money, the local station owner is on a
thin margin.

$3000 to $6000? A neighbor had a 12KW Generac installed at his
house. That was $7K. I suspect to power a gas station you're
looking
at a lot more than that.

Why? Running a couple of pumps, a couple of lights, and the cash
register would not take all that much. If it is connected to a
convenience store with refrigeration, if you want to keep the
compressor going for air, yes, that would take a lot.

You neighbor probably wants to keep the central AC going. 12kw is a
lot of power. What does a gas pump need, maybe a quarter hp? Take a
minimalist approach and cost will not be that bad.