Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Lighting wiring problem - sanity check

"jgharston" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
So please tell me there is something simple and obvious I have overlooked
which is easy to fix.

Identify and isolate the cable at the consumer unit end, then
neatly chuck a supply through an upstairs window and plug it
into a socket outlet. Make note to rip up floorboards next
time place is being redecorated and replace with fixed wiring.

I have sympathy. I got a belt from an upstairs landing light
that I was *sure* I'd isolated as I'd pulled the fuse, only
to discover that it had been wired to both the "upstairs" fuse
and the "downstairs" fuse. The previous owner had obviously
thought: the stairs have an upstairs light and a downstairs
light, so of course it has to be wired to both fuses, doesn't it?

Not sure this is going to help me - the entire downstairs lighting circuit
is off and the cable where I believe the fault has manifested disappears
into the cavity wall.

If normal lighting practice has been followed then this cable will go to a
junction either in a junction box or in a ceiling rose where it will join
the main lighting power circuit.

I am assuming that if I can find where the power feed joins the rest of the
circuit I can isolate it and everything else will then work.

Finding the other end is the issue.

The challenge is not to get the outside light to work.
It is to get the circuit breaker to close and the rest of the downstairs
lighting to work.
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)