Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Lighting wiring problem - sanity check

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"crb" wrote in message

Checked all the wires for 240V a/c - nothing.

Interesting. How did you measure the 240v - between what and what?

Try measuring again between each wire in turn and a known good earth,
both with the CB engaged and tripped.

Interesting thought - however I can't test with the CB engaged
because it always trips.
For those reading this, please note that the fault manifests with no
light fitting attached and no switch attached.
Just bare wires out of the wall, and the two cables (power and switch)
clearly seperated.
So it cannot be a fault in the light fitting or switch.
The fault is inwards of the power cable coming from the rest of the
downstairs lighting circuit.

A twin and earth cable that has been cut using a stanley knife!

However since the fault is inbound of anything I've touched, it wasn't me,
guvnor.
Added probem is that the central heating seems to be powered from the
downstairs lighting, whic I will describe in another post.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)