Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Lighting wiring problem - sanity check

chudford wrote:
On Nov 12, 4:07 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

On Nov 12, 3:06 pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote: Just set off to do my good deed of the day.
Replacing the PIR outside light by the front door which had given
up the ghost.

snip

*Hi
*Have you checked the switch?
*Your shorting of the various cables may have welded the contacts.

Not sure which switch you are talking about.
As noted in the original post the switch for the light has been
checked and
the fault shows when the switch is isolated from the circuit.
So the fault must be in the power circuit or elsewhere in the
downstairs
lighting.
Personally I've never seen contacts in a switch welded - circuit
breaker
should prevent this.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I speak from experience when sorting out a problem at my daughter's
house.
My son in law had connected up a light fitting incorrectly and had
wired the light switch between the live and neutral at the light
fitting.
This had welded the switch contacts. Took me ages to find the fault as
I had wrongly assumed that the switch must be OK.
This was on a RCD protected circuit.

A RCD trips on earth faults. You had a LN short.

--
Adam