Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Lighting wiring problem - sanity check

David WE Roberts wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message
On Nov 12, 3:06 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Just set off to do my good deed of the day.
Replacing the PIR outside light by the front door which had given up
the ghost.

snip

*Hi
*Have you checked the switch?
*Your shorting of the various cables may have welded the contacts.

Not sure which switch you are talking about.
As noted in the original post the switch for the light has been
checked and the fault shows when the switch is isolated from the
circuit. So the fault must be in the power circuit or elsewhere in the
downstairs lighting.

Personally I've never seen contacts in a switch welded - circuit
breaker should prevent this.

Trust me, the circuit breaker will not prevent this.

The bit about getting a belt whilst the breaker is removed is scary. Is
there just one light?

I would suggest trying to connect the light straight into the "power" supply
to see what happens and then try swapping the new light for a pendant for
testing purposes (it could be a faulty PIR light).

--
Adam