Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default house smoke alarm false warning

Most of the time the Fire service will probably fit you one for nothing if
you ask for a free fire inspection. I guess this makes sense from their
point of view as a smoke alarm saves lives and gives early warnings. Bit
worried though to note that the ones they fit are merely stuck somewhere
with sticky pads, but I was told this was fine as by the time the sticky
failed due to heating, you would probably have been dead anyway.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:42:22 -0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 11/11/2011 15:36, john east wrote:

Have an ordinary house smoke alarm. It's about twenty years old and it
has

Assuming it is an ionisation style detector, then just throw it away and
install a new one.

These things have a maximum useful life of around 10 years. (modern
alarms are marked with an expiry date)

recently gone off in the middle of the night for two days running and
for no
apparent reason.

I've heard that it might need a vacuum cleaner applied to it. Is there
likely any truth in that, or is there anything else i might usefully do?

Or does it probably mean that I have to replace it?

Definitely. Your life may depend on it.

Too true - not worth the, umm, candle.

Given the long life batteries - that is, no cost or effort replacing every
so often - you might even save some money.

--
Rod