Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load center replacement

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:29:51 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

no you missed my point, the new main panel 200 amp may Â*only cost 75
bucks than a 100 amp panel. when i last priced panels the difference
was amazingly small......... when done as part of a main panel
replacement.....

Â*And the upgrade to the service - before the panel - is $1700 plus
trenching costs (including lifting and relaying the brick driveway)-

my idea was to replace meter can, install 200 amp capable main panel
with 100 amp breaker and 200 amp lead from meter can to main panel..
all of these upgrades would be cheap

There is really no other way to do the job,here in Waterloo. The
service layout REQUIRES replacement of the meter base, and installing
anything less than the 200 amp rated cable for 2 feet would not make
any sense at all.(if it would even be allowed)

if someone wants in the future to up to 200 amps none of this new work
would need to be changed other than swapping out the main breaker.....

the new expense stuff would be on their dime