Posted to alt.home.repair
paulaner paulaner is offline

Default Advice for 12x16 concrete porch slab and stain

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:15:49 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

paulaner wrote:

The porch will be 30" above grade, so I'll have footers, 8" block,
and fill. I'm having this professionally done.

They will cap with 8" shoe block, fill with #7 stone, foam board
insulation (outer edge) and 6 mill poly plastic for vapor barrier.
Concrete will be 4" thick, 3500 psi, with fiber. They will use 1/2
inch rebar and wire reinforced.

Is this going to be a concrete pad-on-grade, or is there some sort of
crawl-space under it?

What is the size (length x width) of the pad?

I'm trying to figure out if 4" is thick enough for a concrete pad
(floor) over a crawlspace, or (if this is pad-on-grade) why you are
building it like it's going to be loaded like a driveway (fiber + rebar
+ wire). ?

It's 12x16, and about 30" up. We will do footers to code, 8" block,
and fill with stone. No crawl space.

I don't ever want to see a crack in this thing. We get lots of
temperature swings in Maryland.

I think we will be skipping the fiberglass because we plan to do the
acid stain. I heard that the fiberglass can sometimes be seen in the
stain, so that's out.