Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Sharpening HSS Parting Blades

"Searcher7" wrote in message

Thanks everyone.

I'll have to give a couple of those ideas a try.

And speaking of hacksaw blades, I have to cut some down for use as
backing springs for some leaf switches similar to the one shown he
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...LeafSwitch.jpg

(I assume snips of some sort are the best tool for that job).

A hacksaw blade will wreck your snips. It's too hard.

My favorite tool for cutting hand hacksaw blades is a silicon-carbide cutoff
wheel in a Dremel. You will want to use some kind of abrasive cutter to
avoid damage to good steel cutters, and a little cutoff wheel is easy and
faster than most other methods.

If you're just cutting them off square, you can hold the blade in a vise and
break it off, and then grind off the rough edge on a bench grinder.

--
Ed Huntress

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

On Nov 3, 11:05 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

Several of the guys in my high school machine shop class would anxiously
await the changing of the power hacksaw blade, so they could get the
discarded one to make a throwing knife.. by grinding away a lot of the
blade
on the honkin bigass pedestal grinder.

Mmmmm.. sparks

--
WB

...and a cloud of grinding dust. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

However, my experience with grinding the teeth off of a HSS
power-hacksaw
blade, and then shaping it, is that I eat up so much of the grinding
wheel
that I would have been better off buying one.

I just happen to have a box of unused Sandvik power-hacksaw blades and
some old grinding wheels.

--
Ed Huntress