Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Reflecting cold

On Nov 11, 12:30*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Davey wrote:
Thank you for your support. I agree that the practice is becoming more
and more common, unfortunately. I also now see in print the use of 'of'
for 'have', which was surely first a spoken mis-use, but is now becoming
more frequent. As in: "I could of done that differently". It makes me
cringe.

Indeed so. It has clearly been around for a while - I notice that
my Word 2003 autocorrect is set up, by default, to remove many of
these abominations. Nevertheless, it does surprise me how such
poor language becomes common usage.

I have to accept that language is not static, but that does not
mean that I cannot lament the passing of such distinctions as the
difference between disinterested and uninterested.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.