Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default Reflecting cold

On 11/11/2011 14:37, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 07:44:33 +0000, Roger Chapman wrote:
Probably, but possibly just finless. The radiator I am sitting next to
is a single panel with no fins. Fins make a substantial difference -
about 42% greater output according to one site I checked.

I've never seen a finless one, what a strange idea! Even my slimline
single panel hall radiator has fins at the back.

This house had central heating fitted in about 1975, 3 years before I
moved in. No fins on any of the original radiators.

Are they completely flat, or do they have a corrugated appearance? My
parents have the latter at their place (house also built in the 70s), and
there aren't any back-fins, only the two brackets for securing to the
wall.

Not completely flat. I suppose you could call them corrugated although
their appearance has more in common with modern steel roofing sheets
(-=-=-=-=-) than corrugated asbestos sheets. They also have distinctive
header and footer reservoirs that roll top panels don't have.

--
Roger Chapman