Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load center replacement

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:01:39 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 11/9/2011 7:09 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:36:48 -0600,
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 8:36 PM, bob haller wrote:
http://www.pct.edu/wtc/docs/articles...Report_WTC.pdf

this PDF details as age of homes increase so does fire rate, and has
info on 3 home fire traced back to K&T encapsulated in insulation....

Three fires out of 149 in what the survey source says was not a valid
"probability sample".
The report says "knob and tube wiring only played a small role in the
incidents of fire in this study".

What reason is there to believe that K&T is significantly more hazardous
than other wiring methods? Still missing.

Of course you don't read and understand what you post.
This is the same report I have referred to several times already. It
says "properly installed and unaltered K&T wiring is not an inherent
fire hazard." And this is the agency that insulates over K&T - in your
state.

In this thread you have got wrong:
Clare needed to convert to breakers because of homeowners insurance.
you can't get insurance for fuses
you can never get insurance for K&T
you can never get insurance for K&T from State Farm
there is a "great chance of a loss" (K&T is intrinsically unsafe)
there are no boxes with K&T
if you open a wall with K&T it is "mandatory to upgrade"
homes with K&T can't be insulated

Bud,
The national electrical and building codes IN THE USA do NOT allow
insulation over/arounf K&T.

The NEC is applicable only as it is adopted by a local jurisdiction.

From wikipedia - one of hallerb's links
"California and Washington, as well as possibly other states, have
actually reversed the ruling on insulation around K&T. They did not find
a single fire that was attributed to K&T"

Last I read there were at least 5 entire states that allow insulating
over K&T. PA was not listed, but a state agency (hallerb's link)
insulates over K&T. Some states don't have a code at the state level.

Insurance underwriters do not allow (in most cases) houses with K&T
wiring.

How do you know what the practice is in the US? Or all of Canada?
Do you use a Ouija board, like hallerb?

An unmolested K&T wiring system, even if surrounded by insulation,
would, in all probability, not cause a fire dsnger - but UNMOLESTED
K&T systems are EXCEDINGLY rare - and any poorly made modifications,
dangerous enough when in open air, and open to be found and repaired
if a problem develops, are hidden in (often flammable) insulation,
where if a problem develops the first sign is smoke.

"Exceedingly rare"?
Your opinion.

Are you an electrician????
Over the last 50 years ( 40 from 1956 to 2006)as an electrician my dad
rewired a LOT of older homes - and he virtually NEVER found an
"unmolested" K&T

I haven't seen particular K&T horror stories.
I have seen some other wiring with horror stories.
I ran a service truck for years and was in a huge number of houses.

Perhaps you and hallerb could stop generalizing your opinions to the
whole USA