Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default OT politics and crossposts

On 11/10/2011 1:42 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 11/9/2011 5:18 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

If you meant "right wingers", not the "the right", then why did
you write "the ones on the right"?

Because for most people those terms are synonymous and I thought you
of all people would understand that without me having to tell you. It
wasn't that difficult to decipher.

"Most people"? You mean most of the people who agree with you. So "the
ones on the right" are "the right", but right wingers aren't. Somehow.

You say that; but let's hear your positions on some of the issues
that are important. I know it's just a wild guess but I bet your
positions are going to be pretty damn close or the same as the
two major parties.

What kind of bet is that? If I have any positions similar to any of
the Reps or Dems, you somehow win? Nope, you'll always be a loser.

First off, it's not a real bet. I was using a figure of speech and
meant that your views were probably pretty much like most other
people's. Yours would be just like either a republican or a
Democrat.

Or some of each, and a lot of something else. You lose again.

I don't kiss anyone's ass, Reps or Dems. If anything, I'm quite
a bit to the left of you, but you're too busy admiring your
diploma to realize that.

So you say. But how about telling where you stand on the big
issues. Then I can tell you if you're really different from the
other party's positions. I think you have a lot of conservative
views. So let's hear where you stand on abortion, women's
reproductive rights, the wars, Bush's tax cuts, the government
bailouts, etc. I can hardly wait to hear your positions that are
"a bit to the left of mine".

I choose not to have an abortion. I have no right to decide that
for others, although I don't think abortion is appropriate for
birth control. But, as I said, not for me to decide.

So you leave it to others to decide whether to have an abortion or
not. That's called pro life and is the Democratic position.

Gee, I thought pro choice was mostly Dems and pro life was mostly Reps.
I'm glad you cleared that up.

At the same time, I
applaud the recent efforts to free those wrongly convicted and on
death row because I hope it will lead to capital punishment only
for those who have truly earned it, like Gacy and Dahmer.

Anti capital punishment except in rare cases. That's pretty much the
Democrat's position too.

I've never talked to a Dem who thought there was ever a just cause for
capital punishment, and I've talked to quite a few. Most of them smarter
than you.

Iraq. Necessary to finish what we didn't with Desert Storm. Too bad
our earlier allies were taking so much cash from Saddam that they
decided not to help enforce the sanctions. As for WMDs, Saddam did
everything he could to convince the leaders of the west that he had
them and he was successful. Because of the arrogance of the
Pentagon, we screwed up maintaining civil order and most of what
has since happened derives from that. After we pull out, Iran will
probably take over.

Condoning a war of aggression with Iraq and finding excuses to
justify it, that's a republican view on the war.

Seems to me there were a lot of Dems supporting Desert Storm and,
initially, its sequel in 2003.

Afghanistan. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to
repeat it." Sadly, those who do learn from history are also doomed
to repeat it. Not much different from when Lysander tromped
through, same primitive ethics, better weapons over the millennia.

Isolationism in regards to Afghanistan. Now that's mainly how the
Democrats see it and a lot of republicans too. So that's a mainstream
point of view. At least 2/3s of Americans want us out of there now.
So you're view is moderate.

"Isolationism in regards to Afghanistan." That's an interesting thought,
no one goes in, no one comes out, anyone who tries gets taken out by a
Predator. You inadvertently made a contribution.

Tax cuts for the rich aren't a Rep/Dem thing, its the oligarchy at
work, as are the bailouts. Those banksters really thought it was OK
to use bailout money for their bonuses, rewarding themselves for
failure must have been good for their self esteem.

You didn't take a position on tax cuts. For them, against them, good
for the country, bad, you don't say anything about it. So you
weaseled out.

Again with the failed reading comprehension. Do you just not read what
you don't understand?

I don't really care about whether this is to the left of you or
not. I'm disappointed but not surprised that you picked such
superficial issues.

I didn't pick the issues.

Sure you did.

I made a few suggestions that came to mind but I was asking you where
you stood on the important issues, which is what I said. I assumed
that you would have a different opinion of what those would be. The
point is you didn't answer many questions but of the ones you did
your views were not any different from what most republicans or
Democrats think. Which is what I expected.

You expected me to have some Dem and some Rep views on the issues you
selected. So what? I told you in the first place that I agreed with some
things on both sides. The issues you picked are bread and circuses.

Loser.

David