Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Flat roof repair options

Jay-B wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:21:16 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

One option is to use a GAF Liberty self-adhering roll roofing system
that is supposed to be for low-slope roofs. But, I am not sure
about that.

Is there some other option for this small area that is about 21
inches wide and 20 feet long of bare plywood decking? Would it be
too weird to just spray the plywood with asphalt primer (such as
Karnak Quick Dry 108AF Asphalt Primer), then just use roof cement
and fiber mesh to create the new roof for that 21-inch strip?

Or, any other suggestions?

Here's what I'd do.
Use roll roofing about the same thickness as the original.
Apply a good coat of roofing cement on the 2" you slide under the old
stuff.
Roofing nails every 4" along the 20', at the overlap and the bottom.
Done.

--Vic

Thanks Vic. I like that idea and I think that's what we'll end up
doing.

Vic,

Oops, I had to post the above reply from a different account and I just
realized that it showed up as being from "Jay-B" -- but it is actually from
me, the OP, a.k.a. "Ron".

Also, I just met with the person that I have doing the work and he thought
your idea of just using roll roofing, roofing cement, and roofing nails at
the overlap makes sense. So, we are skipping the idea of using the Liberty
self-adhesive roll roofing system etc. Your suggestion should work fine and
be much easier and less expensive to do.

Thanks again.