Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default More newbie stuff

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Been a good weekend for making shavings - learned quite a bit but brought
up some questions.

Made a lidded box out of pine scraps. Came out pretty good but still
can't get the hang of hollowing end grain using a gouge. Wound up using a
3/8 think x 1" square scraper and a comparable radius scraper. Got it
done but when I was getting to the bottom of the 6" box I'm glad I don't
have any fillings in my teeth or they would have shaken loose from the
vibration. I thought about sticking the tool rest inside the cylinder but
I would have had to lay the scraper along the length of the rest. Didn't
feel comfortable.

There's a good piece of advice lurking in the above: If it doesn't feel
comfortable, don't do it. Applies to all woodworking and lots more
besides.

I still have all my parts because I follow that rule!