Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT politics and crossposts

On 11/9/2011 5:18 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

That's not my contention, never was. I was talking about right wingers
not "the right". Right wingers in my experience are a lot more
aggressive than Democrats are, and I mean on a personal level. Whether
it's football players, businessmen, or Christians for example, when they
are on the right they are much more forceful and aggressive as far as
pushing their agenda and trying to have their way than other people are.

If you meant "right wingers", not the "the right", then why did you
write "the ones on the right"?

Because for most people those terms are synonymous and I thought you of
all people would understand that without me having to tell you. It
wasn't that difficult to decipher.

You say that; but let's hear your positions on some of the issues that
are important. I know it's just a wild guess but I bet your positions
are going to be pretty damn close or the same as the two major parties.

What kind of bet is that? If I have any positions similar to any of the
Reps or Dems, you somehow win? Nope, you'll always be a loser.

First off, it's not a real bet. I was using a figure of speech and meant
that your views were probably pretty much like most other people's.
Yours would be just like either a republican or a Democrat.

I don't kiss anyone's ass, Reps or Dems. If anything, I'm quite a bit to
the left of you, but you're too busy admiring your diploma to realize
that.

So you say. But how about telling where you stand on the big issues.
Then I can tell you if you're really different from the other party's
positions. I think you have a lot of conservative views. So let's hear
where you stand on abortion, women's reproductive rights, the wars,
Bush's tax cuts, the government bailouts, etc. I can hardly wait to hear
your positions that are "a bit to the left of mine".

I choose not to have an abortion. I have no right to decide that for
others, although I don't think abortion is appropriate for birth
control. But, as I said, not for me to decide.

So you leave it to others to decide whether to have an abortion or not.
That's called pro life and is the Democratic position.

At the same time, I
applaud the recent efforts to free those wrongly convicted and on death
row because I hope it will lead to capital punishment only for those who
have truly earned it, like Gacy and Dahmer.

Anti capital punishment except in rare cases. That's pretty much the
Democrat's position too.

Iraq. Necessary to finish what we didn't with Desert Storm. Too bad our
earlier allies were taking so much cash from Saddam that they decided
not to help enforce the sanctions. As for WMDs, Saddam did everything he
could to convince the leaders of the west that he had them and he was
successful. Because of the arrogance of the Pentagon, we screwed up
maintaining civil order and most of what has since happened derives from
that. After we pull out, Iran will probably take over.

Condoning a war of aggression with Iraq and finding excuses to justify
it, that's a republican view on the war.

Afghanistan. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat
it." Sadly, those who do learn from history are also doomed to repeat
it. Not much different from when Lysander tromped through, same
primitive ethics, better weapons over the millennia.

Isolationism in regards to Afghanistan. Now that's mainly how the
Democrats see it and a lot of republicans too. So that's a mainstream
point of view. At least 2/3s of Americans want us out of there now. So
you're view is moderate.

Tax cuts for the rich aren't a Rep/Dem thing, its the oligarchy at work,
as are the bailouts. Those banksters really thought it was OK to use
bailout money for their bonuses, rewarding themselves for failure must
have been good for their self esteem.

You didn't take a position on tax cuts. For them, against them, good for
the country, bad, you don't say anything about it. So you weaseled out.

I don't really care about whether this is to the left of you or not. I'm
disappointed but not surprised that you picked such superficial issues.

I didn't pick the issues. I made a few suggestions that came to mind but
I was asking you where you stood on the important issues, which is what
I said. I assumed that you would have a different opinion of what those
would be. The point is you didn't answer many questions but of the ones
you did your views were not any different from what most republicans or
Democrats think. Which is what I expected.

Hawke