Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Cast-iron gutters

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
fred wrote:

I'd like to put up a downpipe in the front of the building.
There is a place where this would not be obtrusive.
I would collect the water in a tank below.

There is absolutely no problem with breaking into any guttering system
and inserting a downpipe, even if in the extreme it involves fabrication
of special parts, anything is possible.

The difficulty I think you have is that you mentioned in your previous
thread on this subject that the building is listed and subject to quite
tight controls and until that issue is dealt with you are fookd.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-..._thread/thread

/d1f169537d53353/

Thanks for your response.
I think the authorities here have had a change of heart,
and anything that creates jobs is good.
In fact the downpipe would be more or less invisible,
as there is a corner it fit into.

That sounds like great news.

The detail of what you are going to do depends on whether the guttering
in simple half round or in complex profiles which will dictate whether
standard parts are available off the shelf or not. The worst I can
imagine would be the fabrication of a lead collector of whatever size
was required with appropriate sealing into the existing setup but
perhaps it's time to ask the can-do guy how he would go about the job
and reassure him that it is to assess the integrity of the final result
rather than tout his design around in order to get cheaper quotes.

I'm familiar with a building that has lead lined stone gutters on the
decorative front elevation, they're very nicely done and absolutely
watertight.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .