Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Cast-iron gutters

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes

I live in a small part of a very large building (an old orphanage).
Strangely, there are no downpipes from the gutters
in the front of the 4-storey building.
All the water is transferred to downpipes at the back of the building.
Unfortunately the water goes over a valley in our part of the building.
The quantity of water after a heavy rainfall is immense;
it sounds as though a large river is running over one's head.
There is occasionally a slight leak through the ceiling at one point.

I'd like to put up a downpipe in the front of the building.
There is a place where this would not be obtrusive.
I would collect the water in a tank below.

Unfortunately two builders I have consulted have given different opinions.
One (a roofing expert) says that it is not possible
to attach a downpipe to the gutters, because these are cast iron.
The other expert says he can do it.

I wonder if anyone has a view on this?

There is absolutely no problem with breaking into any guttering system
and inserting a downpipe, even if in the extreme it involves fabrication
of special parts, anything is possible.

The difficulty I think you have is that you mentioned in your previous
thread on this subject that the building is listed and subject to quite
tight controls and until that issue is dealt with you are fookd.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...f169537d53353/

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .