Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load center replacement

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:09:43 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:36:48 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 8:36 PM, bob haller wrote:
http://www.pct.edu/wtc/docs/articles...Report_WTC.pdf

this PDF details as age of homes increase so does fire rate, and has
info on 3 home fire traced back to K&T encapsulated in insulation....

Three fires out of 149 in what the survey source says was not a valid
"probability sample".
The report says "knob and tube wiring only played a small role in the
incidents of fire in this study".

What reason is there to believe that K&T is significantly more hazardous
than other wiring methods? Still missing.

Of course you don't read and understand what you post.
This is the same report I have referred to several times already. It
says "properly installed and unaltered K&T wiring is not an inherent
fire hazard." And this is the agency that insulates over K&T - in your
state.

In this thread you have got wrong:
Clare needed to convert to breakers because of homeowners insurance.
you can't get insurance for fuses
you can never get insurance for K&T
you can never get insurance for K&T from State Farm
there is a "great chance of a loss" (K&T is intrinsically unsafe)
there are no boxes with K&T
if you open a wall with K&T it is "mandatory to upgrade"
homes with K&T can't be insulated

Bud,
The national electrical and building codes IN THE USA do NOT allow
insulation over/arounf K&T.

Insurance underwriters do not allow (in most cases) houses with K&T
wiring.

An unmolested K&T wiring system, even if surrounded by insulation,
would, in all probability, not cause a fire dsnger - but UNMOLESTED
K&T systems are EXCEDINGLY rare - and any poorly made modifications,
dangerous enough when in open air, and open to be found and repaired
if a problem develops, are hidden in (often flammable) insulation,
where if a problem develops the first sign is smoke.

Got my "service layout" from WNH this afternoon. Need to put in a new
meter base and I'm limitted to 125 amps with the existing underground
service. About $1700 to WNH plus trenching to get it up to 200 amps.

If I stick with 100 to 125, all it will cost me is about $73 for the
disconnect/reconnect, and the new meter base over and above the panel
replacement, and the new meter box installation will allow me to raise
the power cable entry to the panel by the required 4".
Panel replacement by licenced electrician, including Seimens panel
(the electrician's favourite - don't know why) is $750 so it will
likely be scheduled soon.