Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default OT politics and crossposts

On 11/9/2011 12:10 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 11/8/2011 4:57 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

People on the far end of either end of the spectrum both have a lot of
stupid and crazy ideas. The difference between them is that the
ones on
the right are a lot more aggressive and want to use force to make
everyone do things their way. The ones on the left are a lot more
passive and want people to agree with them because they think they are
right.

Yes, they passively try to restrict my civil rights by supporting gun
control. Both Dems and Reps use force to make everyone do things their
way, its called the force of law. They pass laws that support their
agendas.

Uh, yeah, that's how government works. So where's the point? Regardless
of which party in whatever country you talk about the ones in power use
force to make people obey the laws. That's how it is all over. So what?

Just pointing out that your contention that the right uses force while
the left is passive is more of your usual nonsense.

That's not my contention, never was. I was talking about right wingers
not "the right". Right wingers in my experience are a lot more
aggressive than Democrats are, and I mean on a personal level. Whether
it's football players, businessmen, or Christians for example, when they
are on the right they are much more forceful and aggressive as far as
pushing their agenda and trying to have their way than other people are.

If you meant "right wingers", not the "the right", then why did you
write "the ones on the right"?

I'm anti authority. Always have been.

I'm not anti authority, I'm anti authoritarian. In supporting the Dems,
you support authoritarianism.

I'm anti authority whether it's from an individual or from a government
so that makes me anti authoritarian too. But when you support the
republicans you support tyranny.

I don't support the Reps or the Dems, two sides of the same counterfeit
coin.

You say that; but let's hear your positions on some of the issues that
are important. I know it's just a wild guess but I bet your positions
are going to be pretty damn close or the same as the two major parties.

What kind of bet is that? If I have any positions similar to any of the
Reps or Dems, you somehow win? Nope, you'll always be a loser.

I don't kiss anyone's ass, Reps or Dems. If anything, I'm quite a bit to
the left of you, but you're too busy admiring your diploma to realize
that.

So you say. But how about telling where you stand on the big issues.
Then I can tell you if you're really different from the other party's
positions. I think you have a lot of conservative views. So let's hear
where you stand on abortion, women's reproductive rights, the wars,
Bush's tax cuts, the government bailouts, etc. I can hardly wait to hear
your positions that are "a bit to the left of mine".

I choose not to have an abortion. I have no right to decide that for
others, although I don't think abortion is appropriate for birth
control. But, as I said, not for me to decide. At the same time, I
applaud the recent efforts to free those wrongly convicted and on death
row because I hope it will lead to capital punishment only for those who
have truly earned it, like Gacy and Dahmer.

Iraq. Necessary to finish what we didn't with Desert Storm. Too bad our
earlier allies were taking so much cash from Saddam that they decided
not to help enforce the sanctions. As for WMDs, Saddam did everything he
could to convince the leaders of the west that he had them and he was
successful. Because of the arrogance of the Pentagon, we screwed up
maintaining civil order and most of what has since happened derives from
that. After we pull out, Iran will probably take over.

Afghanistan. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat
it." Sadly, those who do learn from history are also doomed to repeat
it. Not much different from when Lysander tromped through, same
primitive ethics, better weapons over the millennia.

Tax cuts for the rich aren't a Rep/Dem thing, its the oligarchy at work,
as are the bailouts. Those banksters really thought it was OK to use
bailout money for their bonuses, rewarding themselves for failure must
have been good for their self esteem.

I don't really care about whether this is to the left of you or not. I'm
disappointed but not surprised that you picked such superficial issues.

David