Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for 12x16 concrete porch slab and stain

paulaner wrote:

Lastly, we want to stain the concrete. We can have it pre-stained and
poured for one solid color, or a broadcast die added after the pour.
The other option (which SWMBO prefers) is the acid stain 28 days later
- from the internet pics these look to be the nicest floors. Any
experience here? I hard fiberglass may show up when doing the acid
stain, so we shold leave that out.

My experiences coloring concrete are minimal but for what it's worth...

1. Acid staining can look GREAT!...varying colors...patterns...swirly stuff.
My father in law did it to his shop maybe 15 years ago (solid color, nothing
fancy). I used poly paint. Mine is probably more worn looking but not
much.

2. Broadcast dye. Don't do it. It *WILL* wear off. Even color through
will eventually wear and expose the aggregate in the concrete but it is lots
better than a topical coating.

3. If you want permanent and like the look, consider quarry tile on top. Not
all that expensive and an easy DIY project. Another possibility is
terrazzo; definitely not a DIY thing.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...