Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Math issues - Amount of water in a 1½ inch pipe

On Nov 9, 8:40*am, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 04:46:31 -0800 (PST), Evan

wrote:
On Nov 9, 6:44*am, wrote:
I'm no good at math. *I'm trying to determine the amount of water in a
1½" (one and one half inch) galvanized steel pipe, per foot. *My
reason for this is because I'm trying to calculate the water weight in
a well pipe. *Here's the issue. *My well has 300 feet of pipe going to
the submersible pump. *I found the weight of the actual pipe, per
foot. *Also the weight of the pump, as well as the wire.

One foot of 1.5" diameter schedule 40 galvanized pipe weighs 2.72
pounds. The pump is about 25 lbs. The wire weighs about 21 lbs per 100
feet.

So far I have
300 x 2.72 = 816 lbs for the pipe
300 feet of wire is 63 lbs
plus 25 lbs for the pump

That totals 904 lbs.

There are a few other small parts such as the fittings, foot valve (if
there is one), etc. *But I know the pump is actually set at 292 feet,
so I can knock off a few pounds for that, but these small parts will
add a little. *Also, this pump is 40 years old, so it may weight a
little more than the new ones. *Either way, I can assume this whole
thing weighs around 900lbs.

However, there is water in the pipes and that is likely a significant
amount of weight added. *My problem occurs here. *How the heck does a
person calculate the amount (or weight) of the water in one foot of
1.5" pipe? *(Or in 10 feet or 100 feet)?

I found online that the weight of one gallon of water is approximately
8.35 lb. *Now I only need to figure out how to determine the amount of
water in the pipe.....

Any math experts out there?

(I hope it's not over 100 lbs, because my tractor loader cant handle
over 1000 lbs of lifting weight).

thanks

LOL...

Call someone who knows what they are doing to help you and who
has the right equipment to actually grip the pipe while pulling it
up...

You are going to have to cut the pipe every 10-15 feet depending on
how high you can lift the bucket on your tractor/loader and it is
going to break your balls to attempt doing this "project" yourself...

However, it is your well and your tractor/loader, if you want to screw
up both of them that is up to you but when you lose your grip on
the pipe as you try to redneck this job it will be really expensive
to have a well company come in and extract the broken piece
from the bottom of the well after you drop it down there than it
would have been for them to pull the pipe and pump and replace
it all for you...

~~ Evan

I already called a well company. *When I heard their estimate of $4000
(which will likely be $5000 or more), I'll do it myself. *I'm not
worried about the tractor loader. *It wont break, it just wont lift if
the weight it too much. *I know I have to cut the pipe, that's what my
sawsall is for. *I intend to rent a clamping device that prevents the
pipe from dropping in the well. *That's the tool I have not yet found.

That well company's estimate is charging $1200 for a pump I can get
for around $600, and $900 for the wire, which I can get for $470 (if I
need it), and they said they will NOT reuse wire. On top of that, they
said that to get their truck in there, I will have to cut down several
trees. *I dont have to cut any trees to get my tractor in there, other
then taking off a few small low branches. *But that's because they
refuse to come in from the rear but driving thru some pasture and crop
field. *They insist they have to come in from the driveway. My tractor
can come in from anywhere.

I'd be happy to pay someone to just come and pull the pipes. *But not
when they're trying to rob me at gunpoint. *Even a friend of mine who
is an electrician and has worked with that company, told me to avoid
them. *The problem is that they are a monoply around here. *There was
a really old man who used to do it, and was fair. *In fact he's the
guy who installed the current pump 40 years ago. *His son still has
all the equipment but dont want to do the work. *I already asked him
about renting the machinery, but he said no. *And why the hell would I
be stupid enough to spend $900 to replace the wire, when it's likely
still good. *But that's just a sign of the times, waste waste waste...
(because companies like that dont want to get their hands dirty using
something that;s not brand new and wrapped in plastic).

The way I see it, these days you either DIY, or you get robbed.

I agree this isn't rocket science and given that you have a
tractor to do the pulling, well within the capability of the DIY
job. And as you've figured out, you'll save a lot of money.
As long as you use some common sense, it should go fine.
Key thing as you;ve already figured out is to make sure you
don't lose the pipe down the well. I can think of several ways
to do that.

Some folks in this group are alarmists and for some reason
just think that many jobs like this require a professional,
probably because they don't have much experience in
fixing things themselves.

*I
just put rear brakes on my pickup. *Cost $94. *That was new shoes,
drums turned, new spring kit, and both rear emergency brake cables
(which were stuck, and probably caused the excessive wear). *I know a
guy who just had his rear shoes replaced by a dealer. *Cost $672, and
they only changed the shoes, no springs or e-brake cables. *Drums
might have been turned or maybe not. *The only parts listed was the
shoes on his bill, and they were almost $100, the rest was labor.- Hide quoted text -

Again, I agree. You can save a huge amount doing routine
brake work yourself. But some would tell you you're gonna
die if you dare touch them.

One of the major brake/auto repair chains is running a radio
ad here in the NYC area. The ad says to come to them for
your brake work, tell them how much you want to spend, and
they will work within your budget to do the work. That one
strikes me as particularly odd. Like if a guy comes in and
says he only has $125 to spend on a job that should cost
$400, what are they gonna do on a job where safety is at
risk? I guess they won't compromise safety, but there are
other half-assed ways to save money too that will come back
to cost you more in the end.