Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Math issues - Amount of water in a 1½ inch pipe

wrote:
I'm no good at math. I'm trying to determine the amount of water in a
1½" (one and one half inch) galvanized steel pipe, per foot. My
reason for this is because I'm trying to calculate the water weight in
a well pipe. Here's the issue. My well has 300 feet of pipe going to
the submersible pump. I found the weight of the actual pipe, per
foot. Also the weight of the pump, as well as the wire.

One foot of 1.5" diameter schedule 40 galvanized pipe weighs 2.72
pounds. The pump is about 25 lbs. The wire weighs about 21 lbs per 100
feet.

So far I have
300 x 2.72 = 816 lbs for the pipe
300 feet of wire is 63 lbs
plus 25 lbs for the pump

That totals 904 lbs.

There are a few other small parts such as the fittings, foot valve (if
there is one), etc. But I know the pump is actually set at 292 feet,
so I can knock off a few pounds for that, but these small parts will
add a little. Also, this pump is 40 years old, so it may weight a
little more than the new ones. Either way, I can assume this whole
thing weighs around 900lbs.

However, there is water in the pipes and that is likely a significant
amount of weight added. My problem occurs here. How the heck does a
person calculate the amount (or weight) of the water in one foot of
1.5" pipe? (Or in 10 feet or 100 feet)?

I found online that the weight of one gallon of water is approximately
8.35 lb. Now I only need to figure out how to determine the amount of
water in the pipe.....

Any math experts out there?

(I hope it's not over 100 lbs, because my tractor loader cant handle
over 1000 lbs of lifting weight).

thanks

volume is pi*(radius squared)* length.
for 300 feet
I get 6358 cubic inches 27.6 gallons 230 pounds.
Somebody should check my math, 'cause I'm senile.

You could always pump out the water.