Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Flat roof repair options

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 11/8/2011 9:28 PM, Ron wrote:
I have a flat roof on a rowhome/townhome-style building that I want to
do a repair/fix on. I am looking for some suggestions or options for how
to do it, what materials to use, etc.
. . . . . ,
It may just turn out that I will have to have a regular roofing company
come out and give me a price to do what I want done and just let them do
it. But, if I could figure out what they would be doing, or what
materials they would use to do this, I may be able to do this on my own.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pro roof (probably membrane) on bare deck, and depending on how the front
and rear parapets are set up, they can insulate and reslope roof at same
time with foam panels. But before you get that far, need to find cause and
extent of saggy spot. Leak rotting decking and a couple joists? Was a wall
removed underneath? (They did that on a flat roof of one wing at work.
Oops. Didn't realize it till 18 months later when an 20"+ snowfall
collapsed half the roof into occupied space.)

IMHO, some things are not WORTH doing yourself. Specialized roofs are one
of them.

Thanks. It may turn out that I will end up using a professional roofing
company as you suggested. But if there is a way that I can do what I need,
I would like to just do that and get it done in the next day or two. I say
"I", but I have a reliable construction person who is on site doing a lot of
other work, so he and I (mostly him) would be doing the roof fix if we do it
ourselves. He has done a number of shingle roofs before, but not flat
roofing.

I had already taken out the entire ceiling underneath, so I was able to see
the whole roof from that angle. The roof is actually above a second floor
apartment that I am completely redoing. The sag appears to have just been a
slight bow in the 2x8 rafters over many years. They are all in very good
shape with no rotting etc.