Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default OT-Wrong Time

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:54:41 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
m...
On 11/8/2011 5:55 PM, azotic wrote:

Congressman King introduces legislation to place duties on Chinese
merchandise for violations of United States intellectual property rights

Washington, D.C.- Congressman Steve King (R-IA) released the following
statement after introducing legislation today that punishes the People's
Republic of China for its failure to protect the holders of United States
intellectual property rights. King's legislation, H.R. 3375, directs the
President to impose duties on merchandise from China in an amount
equivalent
to the estimated annual loss of revenue to holders of United States
intellectual property rights as a result of violations of such
intellectual
property rights in China. Under King's bill, the revenue raised by the
imposition of duties on Chinese merchandise will be proportionally
distributed to provide compensation to holders of United States
intellectual
property rights.

"The creative genius of Americans, protected by our copyrights,
trademarks
and patents, is systematically being pirated by the Chinese whose
government
appears to be complicit," said King. "My bill levies a duty on all
Chinese
imports in an amount necessary to both pay U.S. property rights holders
for
their stolen intellectual property and to administer the program. In
short,
it says to the Chinese: 'Go ahead and steal U.S. intellectual property-we
will do what you have refused to do and pay American innovators their due
from the duties on Chinese goods.'"

http://steveking.house.gov/

Is this realy a good idea at this time when so many americans are out of
work and depend on low cost imports just to survive? So what happens if
this
becomes law, prices will rise on chinese imports and be passed along to
consumers

IP theft will not be stopped.

Best Regards
Tom.

Cheap goods are more expensive! Buy American made goods if you can FIND
them, if you can't, demand them.

Problem is most americans do not understand quality and only look at price.

Best Regards
Tom.

Yes, I've noticed the frequent references to Harbour Freight :-)

--
John B.