Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Are all roofers ripoffs?

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 09:15:21 -0500, dgk wrote:

Of course, I'm told that I need a new roof. It's only been about eight
years since I had a new roof put on so that's pretty quick.

Many years ago, flat roofs like that had 20 year pro-rated warranty,
but it was reduced to ten and then one or two. I don't know how much
the material has changed. I don't know what material was used on your
roof and how well it was installed, or what your climate is. Anything
I'd say about longevity would be pure speculation.
..

went.

The peaked area at the front of my roof needs work; more than I was
prepared to do at the time and I'll certainly pay a few hundred for
someone to fix that. But a new roof? It looked pretty good to both of
us, and my neightbor does know something about construction.

Am I wrong in thinking that A-One Roofing is a ripoff? Nice old
Italian guy and his illegal immigrant workers, but I guess a liar?

He may or may not be. Give the repair a few months and see how it
holds up as well as the rest of the roof. If it leaks in a year, he
was correct. If you et another 10 years, he was wrong.

Some roofers are very honest and do great work. Some do not, so be
sure to check the reputation of the one you want to hire.